Thursday, November 6, 2014

Let's get it started in here!

Recently, I attended a team meeting for work and as part of the agenda, we were assigned to create a slide that gave an introduction and interesting information about ourselves as a way to get to know each other better as a team. One of the questions was a fill-in-the-blank: My other dream is....

Here's what I said: To be a famous blogger and quilter. What? Did I really say that out loud type that on my Powerpoint slide and then share it with my teammates? Yes, yes. I did.

So here I am. Starting somewhere. This is frankly terrifying. I'm actually typing words on a blog and creating a title and customizing the background. Not sure I'm completely in love with any of the formatting of my blog. My sister is my role model, unbeknownst to her. She's famous. At least in my eyes. She's witty and charming and hilarious and eats food with faces that I'm not sure we have here in "the States" and goes to fancy places and takes absolutely breathtaking pictures and doesn't write run-on sentences and I love her to pieces. Maybe she'll read my blog every once in a while.

As my blog description goes, I'm a mother of two gorgeous girls who constantly fight and then surprise me when they get along for two magical minutes every month or so. They are 12, Hunter, and 6, Peyton. Actually 6 years, 6 days, and 6 hours' age difference. Frightening! My oldest is Mama #2 to my youngest who rarely tolerates such bossiness. I know in her heart that she is just trying to keep her little sister from getting in trouble and it's sweet. Other times, I'm just all "let me be the mom for once"!

Jeff and I have been married for 13 years and our life is full of adventures. Some good, some exhausting (hello, 24-hour drive to S.Carolina that I'll never repeat!). I can honestly say that our married life is NEVER boring. I love you, babe, even though I know you likely have no clue what a blog is and will probably only read this because I'll shove it in your face at 10:30pm and demand you read it and shower me with praise. It won't matter if it's sincere or not - just say so and I will be happy.

Third item in my description list - BOOMER SOONER! 'Nuff said.

Fourth, marketing manager. I absolutely love my job! I can't imagine, but for the grace of God, that He has provided me with the opportunity to serve Him in making a difference in the lives of children. So often I see parents who are desperate for another choice for their child because their current educational situation is not working. I never presume that what I have to share is the only choice or the right choice but that they HAVE a choice in where they send their child to school. It's my honor to provide them with hope that learning can be different, school can be fun, and teachers really do care. I can go on and on but I'm already afraid that you are bored and mere seconds away from clicking that horrid red x in the top right corner of the screen. NO! Don't look at it! Stay with me for just a few more minutes of my drivel.

Bookworm was last but not least (what a tired old phrase! Someone ought to come up with something better. Sharona, can you get on that?) I love to read. I remember, as a young girl, loving "Library Day" when my mother and sister and I spent at least an hour at the library and brought home armfuls of books to read on long summer days and dark winter nights. I was voracious then and my heart cheers when my girls ask to go to the library and then try to check out armloads themselves. Now the mother in me fears overdue books and lost books and torn books. I'll get over it because instilling in my offspring a love of reading overpowers that fear.

So I think I've come to the end of my first post ever on my first blog ever. OMG! If you have gotten this far, and feel gracious enough to comment, please be kind. Oh and one more thing...






5 comments:

  1. Great job, Alissa! Excited to read more!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fantastic! I love it! My girls, famous bloggers!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yay!! I love your blog already! I can't wait to read more. I'm so glad you started writing!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nicely done! Welcome to the interwebs and the addictive thing that is blogging. I knew that Sharona likes to read but am thrilled to see it runs in the family. It is one of my favorite traits about people. Also, I like that you walked into your work meeting with that particular slide and said what you did. I think the last time I had a similar type of meeting, I expressed that I wanted to be a certified master food preserver. It may happen one day… :)

    ReplyDelete